Font Size

SCREEN

Cpanel

Farnborough & Camberley Cycling Club Forum

A forum for members of the club and others. You need to be a member of the club to post.
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunday 22nd Club Run
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 am 

I'm eager to dispell the myth of the "fast" group

As such Im proposing the Sunday 22nd Training ride go out with the later group or the Cafe group, which happens to be 10am, Ive been hearing of long distance, comfortable speeds, and am eager to show people both groups are quite compatible and theres nothing to be afraid of within what many people annoyingly call the "fast" group.

We also on occaision stop for tea and cake and also ride comfortable speeds of which Ive seen quoted for the cafe groups ride.

Let me know peoples thoughs and if anyone has a route in mind, it would be good to hear the ideas

Post subject: Re: Sunday 22nd Club Run
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 pm 
Elite

I don't think there is a major problem with others calling the training ride a fast group. Although I have yet 2go out on any ride with this club that I would class as FAST. A major reason I have not been out on a club run for some time. I think those that want 2join the cake run a little later are well capable of doing so. And I shouldn't speak for others but I know when I want 2go out for a TRAINING ride I want 2ride fast without stops. So again personally I like the idea of two groups. So I can TRAIN or eat cake :) depending on my mood.
Thruxton 2morow. I'm going if you want a lift. Give me a bell

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:07 pm 

:gagged: I agree with Keith, the '0900 group' generally tends to ride without a cafe stop. Where as those who go out at 10:00 are expecting a stop :readytoeat:

We only have two 10:00 groups is because it had become so popular that it often exceded 20 riders :thumbup: , which the committee decided was a little to big. 12 max was the figure that was decided on. :worthy:

It was agreed I (or any other volunteer) would take the more experienced riders as a separate group. Ron would keep the novice / new riders. We either taker a longer route to Ron's cafe choice, or another cafe further out.

The longer distances are purely because of the people :loonylaugh: in the bunch wanted to extend the ride.

Destination is usually decided :enlighten: at the bridge depending on wind direction and who's in the group.

The 09:00 ride is popular for those who want/need to be home around lunchtime. Our 10:00 excursions dont get back until 14:00 onwards which might cause friction in the home for some :wag:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm 

:headslap: Whilst on the 'Sunday ride' subject, I'm not out this Sunday due to prior comitments :gagged:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 am 
1st Cat

I'm not sure I see the point of combining the 9 and 10am Sunday rides......"to dispel the myth of the fast rides"?? What is that all about? I thought the cafe ride had become so popular that it was having to be divided into separate groups - so what sense is there in increasing numbers even further?
As far as I can see we will end up with too many people going out at the same time, at the same speed for the same distance. To my mind there SHOULD be a "fast group" -that is a proper fast training ride. This should be a ride where distance and speed are agreed in advance. I would suggest that a genuine "fast" ride should not be done for very long distance as this reduces pace, unless anyone is entering the TDF next year.
In short, the clubs' training rides should be defined - so people know exactly what sort of social/training/long distance ride they are going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm 
Div2 Pro

I get numerous rides enquiries from members and also from people thinking of joining the club. Without exception they want to know:
How far
How fast
How hilly
Is there a stop, or not
Ideally the route (I emhasise that the route is often decided on the day, depending on the group, weather, direction of the wind.....). Having a list of potential routes (thanks Gareth) went down well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 pm 
looking forward to the 22nd ride but a few points .
hopefully we will get a few rideres out ,so hope fully a nice mixed bag .
as far as distance hopefully any think over 50 and i tend to suffer , train on my own a lot now but 50 for me is good .
i think after sundays ride , dont know what other people think .but i think theres a need for an inbetween group at some point .
but some times its nice to go out and really push it a bit more [can see where martins coming from ] .
but theres some people , me included some times that find martins fast pace and miles just that little bit hard . :worthy:
i dont know what people think on this and hopefully people will put ideas forward ?
when i rode for wolverhampton wheelers the club had 4 groups that helped those riders in those groups . ranging from slowish to flat out no cafe stop .
that way when people joined it gave them the option to chop and change , one week medium next week fast . it kept people in the club .
so what are peoples ideas on this ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:56 pm 
Div2 Pro

Yes, there is a need, just based on member's requests, for a mid-paced / mid-distance training ride, such as the Saturday morning rides which took place earlier this year.

However, someone has to lead these and despite repeated requests (by me and others) no one has offered to do so. It would be great if a few more people could "put something in" in cases such as this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:08 pm 
theres a few in martins and rons groups that would like a mid group , lm new to this area but ok over seale and haslemere areas and am more than happy to lead rides that way as long as some one offers to lead rides into hampshire .
it will only take 2 people to work a mid group .
also leaving it to people on the rides to pick distance and stop .#
but as i say more than happy to lead some mid group rides as long as some one else throws there hat in to help .
not being rude but people need to come forward now to sort this out as its a waste of time complaining in 6 months saying theres no mid range group .
as i say lm more than happy to throw my hat in the ring but need some one else for hampshire rides as dont really know those rides that well .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:49 am 
1st Cat

Just my 2p's worth - I think that what myself and probably some others suffer from is the fact that that with a 10am start and a cafe stop the return home time is a little on the late side. This means that I do sometimes end up going out with the 9 am training ride, which is a good sessions but I am well aware that I am usually the slowest. I could go out on my own but that is not what I joined a club for. However, I do see what I want to do as a 'training ride' I.e. Usually with no cafe stop and keeping a reasonable effort level.

I agree about the multiple groups and people changing from week to week dependent on their legs in any given week. I think that two groups from the training ride on a Sunday morning could be a goer - possibly with the second at approx the Saturday training pace of the winter but to do this you have to have the numbers.

As for the saturday training ride I might be able to do some of these but only from September when Henry goes back to coaching.